quinta-feira, maio 24, 2007

Is that a chicken joke?

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Up, Down.

Two stories of chickens gone wrong; small ones, both of them.

Rowan and Martin Laugh-In / Jo Anne Worley
Chicken Little / Henny Penny

Once upon a time there was a tiny little chicken whom every one called Chicken Little.

One day while she was out in the garden, a rose-leaf fell on her tail. Away she ran in a great fright, for she thought the sky was falling. As she ran along she met Henny Penny.

"Oh Henny Penny," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling!"

"How do you know that?" asked Henny Penny.

"Oh, I saw it with my own eyes; I heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my very own tail," said Chicken Little.

"Well then, we must run and tell the King," said Henny Penny.

So they ran along together until they met Ducky Lucky.

"Oh Ducky Lucky," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling!"

"How do you know that?" asked Ducky Lucky.

"Oh, I saw it with my own eyes; I heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my very own tail," said Chicken Little; "and we must go and tell the King."

"May I go too?" asked Ducky Lucky.

"Yes you may," said Chicken Little, and they all ran along together. Presently they met Goosey Loosey.

"Oh Goosey Loosey," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling!"

"How do you know that?" asked Goosey Loosey.

"Oh, I saw it with my own eyes; I heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my very own tail," said Chicken Little; "and we must go and tell the King."

"May I go too?" asked Goosey Loosey.

"Yes you may," said Chicken Little, and they all ran along together. Presently they met Turkey Lurkey.

Henny Penny / Foxy Loxy"Oh Turkey Lurkey," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling!"

"How do you know that?" asked Turkey Lurkey.

"Oh, I saw it with my own eyes; I heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my very own tail," said Chicken Little; "and we must go and tell the King.

"May I go too?" asked Turkey Lurkey.

"Yes you may," said Chicken Little, and they all ran along together. Presently they met Foxy Loxy.

"Oh Foxy Loxy," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling."

"How do you know that?" asked Foxy Loxy.

"Oh, I saw it with my own eyes; I heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my very own tail," said Chicken Little; "and we must go and tell the King."

"Come with me," said Foxy Loxy, "and I will show you where the King lives."

So Chicken Little, Henny Penny, Ducky Lucky, Goosey Loosey and Turkey Lurkey all followed Foxy Loxy; but, oh! he led them into his den, and they never, never came out again!

Red Hen / Andy Warhol
The Little Red Hen with illustrations by Andy Warhol (they say).

One day the little Red Hen was in the farmyard with her chicks, when she found a grain of wheat. "Who will help me to plant this wheat?" she said.

"Not I," said the Goose; "Not I," said the Pig; "Not I," said the Cat; "Not I," said the Duck.

"I will then," said the little Red Hen; and she did. When the wheat was ripe she said, "Who will help me to take this wheat to the mill?"

"Not I," said the Goose; "Not I," said the Pig; "Not I," said the Cat; "Not I," said the Duck.

Red Hen / Andy Warhol"I will then," said the little Red Hen; and she did.

When she brought the flour home she said, "Who will help me to make some bread with this flour?"

"Not I," said the Goose; "Not I," said the Pig; "Not I," said the Cat; "Not I," said the Duck.

"I will then," said the little Red Hen; and she did.

When the bread was baked, she said, "Who will help me eat this bread?"

"I will," said the Goose; "I will," said the Pig; "I will," said the Cat; "I will," said the Duck.

"Ah, no you won't," said the little Red Hen. "I shall eat it myself. Cluck! cluck!" And she called all of her little chicks to help her.

Tags: , , , .
Down.