quinta-feira, maio 25, 2006

Cod Fish

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Next, Back, Thread Ahead: As I Roved Out, Thread Back: Bogus Newfoundland!.

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarI started this blog with a picture of Bonne Bay taken when I drove out there last spring to see my daughter. The wind was blowing so strong that day that it smacked the door right off my car when I stepped out to take this picture. Hahaha - loved it! Savage, Brutal & Frightening! Woke me up and I remembered something I had been forgetting.

Last Sunday, sitting up on Signal Hill with a couplea Tims and my copy of The Independent, I read this editorial: Stop fishing (Archive); straight talk, a bit clumsy maybe and half a century too late, but straight - good on 'im.

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarA guy I knew in Rio said to me one time, talking about the garotas de programma, the program girls in the Copacabana clubs, "They're all doin' it for the thrill eh?"; I didn't think so, he didn't care, goin' on about some un-shaved girl fresh from from São Paulo he met wanted him to use a 'johnny' (condom) and he didn't like it, I had to laugh, wasn't funny.

In his editorial Ryan Cleary says, "That life was brutal — no one in his right mind wants to go back to that." Builds character though, ya know; and I for one would go back to it in a heartbeat - there was a place in that society for out-of-work old-farts for one thing. He decries 'romantic' notions of what outport life was all about; I expect he would have decried sentimentalism too if he had thought of it. You will have to trust me that what I know of it (first-hand) is neither romantic nor romanticized nor sentimental - in a heartbeat, yes.

Bob says, "God knows there's gonna be no more water but, fire next time" (Under The Red Sky, 1990). I think he is referring to God's rainbow covenant after Noah's Ark in Genesis chapter 9 but I am not sure about the fire part. Still, a prophet's a prophet; I figgure it will be nuclear fire; just on simmer maybe but it's the same. There can be brutality in a click of the keyboard by some co-opted bureaucrat or scientist; same as in the basement of a Residential School or a sex club in Rio. Somewhere else Bob says, "When the cities are on fire with the burning flesh of men" (Down in the Groove, 1988). People want what they want and sometimes they get it.

A friend of mine asked me, "Well, how can a nuclear physicist justify it then?" I thought I knew but really I don't, just guessing.

Tags: , , , , , .